Tuesday, 14 February 2017
I Love Jane Austen Week Tag
Whoohoo! The awesome Hamlette is hosting a Jane Austen week where all things related to that mighty author and her works will be discussed and celebrated by us mere blogging mortals around the world. To begin with, Hamlette has come up with a delightfully fun tag so with no further rambling, let's get into it.
1. Which did you experience first, a Jane Austen book or a movie based on one?
Book! When I was about 13, my sister studied Pride and Prejudice for school and it was her first introduction to Jane Austen. She told me the whole story and although I admit I had a somewhat confused understanding of everything that went on, once some friends lent us the BBC mini series a few years later, I read Pride and Prejudice through first. It was definitely enjoyable and then, then, I saw The Rightful Adaptation and was hooked forever after on all things Jane Austen.
2. What is your favorite Austen book?
Pride and Prejudice! Mostly because it's the one I'm most familiar with. I read the other ones in a row one after the other so they sometimes get a little jumbled in my mind.
3. Favorite heroine? Why do you like her best?
They all have their flaws - which is a good thing because then they're more relatable - but on the whole, I like Lizzy best because of her humour, spunk and ability to admit and correct her mistakes.
4. Favorite hero? Why do you like him best?
Mr. Darcy is the kind of man you crush on but Mr. Knightly is the kind of guy you want to marry, right? Dear George is the perfect blend of gentlemanliness, fun, and dash of imperfection.
5. Do you have a favorite film adaptation of Austen's work?
6. Have your Austen tastes changed over the years? (Did you start out liking one story best, but now like another better? Did you think she was boring at first, then changed your mind? Etc.)
No not really.... sorry bit of a boring answer! I think I didn't really get into the book Emma but loved the BBC series of it, if that counts.
7. Do you have any cool Austen-themed things (mugs, t-shirts, etc)? (Feel free to share photos if you want.)
I do but I can't be bothered to get photos now... I have a cute little magnetic badge with "I love Jane Austen" on it plus a picture of Jane Austen, a little Jane Austen notebook and coolest of all, a beautiful set of Jane Austen commemoration postal stamps sent to me from England when they were released over there!
8. If you could ask Jane Austen one question, what would you ask her?
9. Imagine someone is making a new film of any Jane Austen story you choose, and you get to cast the leads. What story do you want filmed, and who would you choose to act in it?
Oooh, I love questions like this! Persuasion absolutely needs a BBC mini series makeover! Casting isn't my strong point but let's have a go.
Frederick Wentworth - Dan Stevens
Anne Elliot - Keira Knightley
Captain Benwick - Tom Hiddleston
Sir Walter Elliot - Ian McKellan
Lady Russell - Emma Thompson
10. Share up to five favorite Jane Austen quotations!
In no particular order:
"You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you," - Mr. Darcy (Pride and Prejudice).
"You are mistaken, Mr. Darcy, if you suppose that the mode of your declaration affected me in any other way, than as it spared the concern which I might have felt in refusing you, had you behaved in a more gentlemanlike manner.”
She saw him start at this, but he said nothing, and she continued:
“You could not have made the offer of your hand in any possible way that would have tempted me to accept it.” - Elizabeth Bennet (Pride and Prejudice)
“If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more.” - Mr. Knightly (Emma)
That's all for this time but tune in tomorrow to see my review of The Lizzie Bennet Diaries!
Until then xx